Lolly cake has got to be the ultimate sweet treat loved by all kiwi kids! I think it's a combination of the awesome colours as well as of course how good it tastes! 😋
Traditional lolly cake is pretty much just made with malt biscuits, condensed milk, butter and Eskimo lollies. So fair to say void of any nutrients and a good way to sky rocket the blood sugar levels. Below is a healthy twist on traditional lolly cake, but this one is packed full of nutrients, high in healthy fats, protein, fiber and antioxidants....definitely something you can give the kids everyday of the week.
TIPS & SUBSTITUTIONS:
- You can use any kind of nut butter (peanut butter etc) but I think almond butter gives the best flavour as I find peanut butter a little too over powering.
- You can swap the goji berries, walnuts, pistachio nuts and sultanas for any other ingredient that you like. Dried cranberries, dried blueberries, dried apricots and dark chocolate chips are some other yummy ideas!
- When I use dates in recipes, I always soak them first in boiling water for 5 minutes then drain. This softens the dates and makes them easier to blend into a smooth paste.
- 1 cup almonds
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/3 cup almond butter (or peanut butter)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dates
- 1/4 cup goji berries
- 1/4 cup pistachio nuts
- 2 Tbsp chopped walnuts
- 2 Tbsp sultanas
- In a food processor or high powered blender, blend the almonds, sea salt and cinnamon into a flour. Add the almond butter, coconut oil, vanilla and dates and pulse to combine. Tip this mixture into a bowl.
- Mix through the goji berries, pistachio nuts, walnuts and sultanas.
- Using your hands, shape the mixture into a log shape then roll in desiccated coconut.
- Place in the freezer for at least 1 hour before slicing. Be careful when you slice it as it could fall apart a little. If it does just squish the pieces back into shape again.
- Store in the fridge or freezer.
Makes about 15 slices
Join Our Community
Join 9k incredible ladies in our private Facebook Group and receive your copy of our FREE 7 Day Mind & Body Experience eBook. By signing up, you'll also receive a weekly e-mail with new delicious recipes and healthy tips.