I love falafels! Usually they are deep fried so I tend to avoid ever buying them from restaurants and cafes. But now we can all make a healthy version at home! This recipe is super simple and easy to make and requires just a little bit of blending and baking.
I served these falafels with the tomato dipping sauce below and also the dressing from my black bean Mexican bowl recipe.
Easy Homemade Falafels
- ½ cup walnuts, roasted
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 carrot, grated
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Roast the walnuts in the oven for 10 minutes or until golden.
- Place all ingredients into a blender or food processor and blend until everything is combined.
- Roll the falafels into balls, flatten slightly then refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 180 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden. Half way through the cooking, turn each falafel over.
Optional Tomato Dipping Sauce:
- 2 fresh tomatoes
- 1 small handful of coriander
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove
- 3 heaped Tbsp tomato paste
- Pinch of chili
- Juice of half a lemon or lime
- Place all ingredients into a blender and blend until combined.