Homemade Vietnamese rice paper rolls has got to be one of my favourite meals! There is just something about them that I love.....the crunch of the veggies, the chewiness of the rice paper and then dipped in tamari sauce! Yummmm 😋
I think I also love making these because it is a meal my family would often have together when we were growing up. We would place all the ingredients out on the table, share a bowl of hot water between 2 of us to dip our rice papers in and make our own. It was always a competition to see who would make the best rolls (mums would always fall apart because she would overfill it haha). So much fun! 😁
I just use tamari sauce (gluten free soy sauce) for dipping the rolls into but there are some other yummy dipping sauces online that you can try too. I also always marinate the chicken first in a little tamari sauce before cooking it. As for the fillings this is totally up to you what you add. Here are some other yummy filling ingredients that I sometimes use: prawns, egg, fresh grated beetroot and cucumber.
SAUCE UPDATE: I have recently started making a dipping sauce by mixing equal ratio of fresh lime juice, fish sauce, water and then a little sweet chilli sauce to taste. Sweet chilli sauce isn't the best health wise because of the sugar but you can buy organic which doesn't contain nasty ingredients. I sometimes add a crushed garlic clove too - if I can be bothered! :)
- Practice makes perfect. The first few may not work too well or your roll may fall apart.
- Don't overfill your roll, especially if you are making these for the first time. The less ingredients the easier it will be to roll.
- Don't soak your rice paper for too long in water otherwise it will rip easily.
- If it does rip or fall apart then simply soak another paper and roll the whole thing twice - it is actually so yumm with 2 papers! 😋
Let me know how you go with these!! 😍
Vietnamese Rice Paper Rolls
- 1 packet of rice paper rolls (I bought mine from Pak'nSave)
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 red capsicum, sliced
- 1 handful of ice burg lettuce, sliced
- 1 handful of sprouts
- 1/2 an avocado, sliced
- Fresh coriander
- 2 x cooked chicken breasts - I marinated mine in tamari sauce before I stir fried it in a pan with coconut oil.
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds, to garnish (optional)
- Prepare the filling ingredients first by slicing everything up.
- Pour boiling water into a shallow round dish. Slide a rice paper into the water and leave it in there for 10-20 seconds. Carefully take the soft rice paper out and place it on a plate.
- Place the filling ingredients in the paper, and roll it. Read my tips above and watch the video to help you here.
- Dip your roll in your chosen sauce and enjoy! Repeat until you have used up all you ingredients. I will usually make about 4-5 for myself.
Join our Community
Sign up to our newsletter for new delicious recipes, healthy tips and a FREE 7 Day Mind & Body Experience.