While this lasagne is missing the pasta sheets that the traditional family favourite meal is made with, it seriously does taste just like the real thing! It is the perfect meal to serve to your 'non-healthy' friends or boyfriend...they won't even realise it is missing the pasta.
If you want to keep it vegetarian then you can even skip the mince and add a tin of lentils or black beans. If you wanted to make it dairy-free then simply leave out the cottage cheese or you could even experiment with making a cashew nut sauce.
The lasagne took longer than I thought to cook as I used raw sweet potato slices and ended up having to cover it with tinfoil to help it heat hot enough. If you wanted to reduce the cooking time then pre-cook the sweet potato slices first in the oven before layering. If you do this then the lasagne would only need about 20 minutes in the oven for it's final cook.
- 400g (or 2 cups) of cottage cheese (preferably organic)
- 2 x free-range eggs
- 3 handfuls of fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 large courgette, thinly sliced
- 1 large sized sweet potato, thinly sliced
- 1/2 a cup of grated cheese (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon of dried herbs
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 3/4 tsp curry powder
- 500g beef mince
- 1 tin of tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 190 degrees celcius.
- To make the beef mince first heat coconut oil in large pot and cook the onion until soft. Add the garlic, herbs and spices and cook for a further 1 minutes.
- Add the beef mince and stir until the beef is cooked.
- Tip in the tinned tomato and tomato paste stir and season with a small teaspoon of salt.
- Mix together the cottage cheese and eggs, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Make sure the sweet potato and courgette are thinly sliced or use a mandolin. Or pre-cook the sweet potato first in the oven to reduce the final cooking time.
- To assemble the lasagne, spread a layer of tomato beef on the bottom of an oven proof dish. Add a layer of cottage cheese followed by a layer of spinach, courgette and sweet potato. Repeat until all the mixture has been used.
- Top with grated cheese and then cover with tinfoil.
- Bake 180 degrees for 40-60 minutes. After 40 minutes use a knife to check if the sweet potato is cooked. Once it is, continue cooking uncovered for a further 10 minutes to grill the cheese.
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes before serving.