I started making my own muesli years ago when I stopped eating gluten. At first I followed a recipe, then slowly started changing it each time I made it. Muesli is so easy to make and you can pretty much use whatever nuts and seeds you have in your cupboard. I add oats, puffed buckwheat or quinoa flakes to include some carbohydrates. However, if you are following a grain-free or paleo diet you can definitely leave it out and keep it all nut based.
The trick to this muesli is mashed banana! I added it once in attempt to sweeten it without the need for honey. So many people question me when I tell them I add a mashed banana – “doesn’t it go soggy??” The banana dries out very well and leaves the muesli in delicious crunchy clusters, and of course no need to add a sweetener. This recipe can also be used to make raw muesli which is what I did when I lived in Melbourne and didn’t have an oven. I used the same recipe but only the dry ingredients and left out the banana and coconut oil.
It’s great to make a big batch of muesli over the weekend for an easy breakfast during the week. This muesli also makes a great snack! Be warned though…it is addictive. I have this muesli every morning on top of my smoothie, I absolutely love it!! It is also delicious with Greek yoghurt and fresh berries. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family, my partner and I have and make sure you add plenty of coconut and cinnamon!
Healthy Homemade Muesli
- 2 cups of whole and chopped nuts (almonds, cashews, walnuts, pecans, macadamia)
- 1 cup of seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, sesame, flaxseeds)
- ½-1 cup oats/ puffed buckwheat or quinoa flakes
- ¾ cup coconut
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp of himalayan salt
- 1 mashed banana
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- Place all dry ingredients in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the mashed banana, water and oil, pour over the muesli and mix well.
- Spread the mixture on a lined baking tray and bake in an oven set at 160 degrees- be careful not to burn it. Every 5 minutes check the muesli and stir it.
- Cook it for around 30 minutes until it has turned a golden brown colour and is dry and crisp. Once the muesli has cooled, pour it into an air-tight container. Enjoy!!