Whittaker’s (or Cadbury for all you non-kiwi’s) fruit & nut is one of my favorite chocolates (together with black forest!), the chewy dried fruit, crunchy nuts together with the delicious creamy chocolate make the perfect combination. The fruit & nut bar is pretty easy to make yourself and have the added bonus by making sure it is only filled with healthy ingredients – however, Whittaker’s is pretty good for providing a “clean” chocolate bar, especially when compared to the sugar-filled Cadbury!!
This recipes uses raw cacao chocolate as the base with added roasted almonds and raisins. It’s very simple to make and requires little kitchen equipment. One problem though…it is extremely addictive!
I find the chocolate tastes the best when you use unscented or deoderised coconut oil. As the coconut oil flavour can be too overpowering otherwise. Here is the brand I buy from Pak' n Save.
Fruit and Nut Dark Chocolate
- ¼ cup of coconut oil (melted)
- ¼ cup of almond butter or other nut butter
- 2 tablespoon of raw cacao powder
- ½ teaspoon of pure vanilla powder or extract
- Pinch of himalayan salt
- 1 tablespoon of honey or pure maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons of raisins
- 4 tablespoons of roasted almonds
- If your almonds are raw, then first roast them in the oven at 160 degrees for 5-10 minutes until starting to brown.
- Mix the melted coconut oil, almond butter, cacao powder, vanilla, salt and sweetener together until combined. Taste the mixture and add more sweetener to suit your preference.
- Add the roasted almonds and raisins, mix well.
- Pour your chocolate mixture into a baking-paper lined tin or container. And leave it in the fridge to set for 30-60 minutes. Or freezer if you are impatient!