There is just something so comforting about a good Shepherd's pie during winter. Not only will this Lentil Shepherd's Pie satisfy your taste buds and emotions, it is packed full of nutrients to satisfy the body as well 😊
The veggies have really been amped up in this recipe, to create a nutritious vegetarian meal that the whole family will enjoy. I was inspired to make this recipe after receiving a lot of positive feedback from the Healthy Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie recipe on the blog which is made using beef mince. I wanted to make a meat-free version of this pie so it can be enjoyed by all! 😁
I think this recipe will be perfect to make as part of your weekend meal prep and reheat it throughout the week for as lunches or dinners. It also freezes well which is an awesome bonus!
Lentil Shepherd’s Pie
- 1 large or 2 medium kumara/sweet potato, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 3 Tbsp of non-dairy milk (any milk would work - I used homemade cashew milk)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp of coconut oil
- 1/2 broccoli, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, grated
- 2 courgettes, grated
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp Himalayan or sea salt (plus an extra 1/4 tsp for the kumara mash)
- 1 tin of tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tin of lentils (I used 1/2 cup dried lentils which I soaked overnight and boiled)
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp tamari (or soy sauce)
- 1 & 1/2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to season
- Optional: handful of grated cheese for the top
- Boil the kumara/sweet potato until soft. Mash together with the milk, garlic powder and 1/4 tsp of salt.
- In a large pan, cook the carrot, courgette, broccoli and garlic until soft. Add the spices and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine. Taste and season.
- Pour the lentil mixture into an oven proof dish. Top with the mashed kumara and add grated cheese if you wish.
- Bake at 180 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until heated through and the mixture is started to boil up the sides.
Join Our Community
Join 9k incredible ladies in our private Facebook Group and receive your copy of our FREE 7 Day Mind & Body Experience eBook. By signing up, you'll also receive a weekly e-mail with new delicious recipes and healthy tips.