This Creamy Chicken Soup is nourishing, comforting and packed full of flavour! It's the perfect meal to help you stay warm and well over winter 😊.
The star of this chicken soup is the bone broth which is an amazing ingredient that assists the health of our body and more specifically gut health.
If you have followed me for a while you will know I am very passionate about looking after our gut! Click here to watch a video I filmed where I talk all about the gut and some great foods you can implement into your diet to help improve the health of your gut.
Bone broth is made by cooking animal bones, joints, marrow, ligaments and tendons for 8-24 hours. This long simmering causes the bones to release compounds such as collagen and specific amino acids which once we digest has a positive impact on the health of our body in many ways.
What are the benefits of drinking bone broth?
- The main reason why I drink bone broth is for the benefits it has on our gut health. The gelatin (which contains collagen) helps to heal and seal the gut lining. It has a soothing effect on the gut by reducing inflammation and supporting a healthy mucosal layer while also creating the perfect environment for a healthy gut bacteria.
- The healing effect bone broth has on our gut also leads to a positive effect on our immune system and improve disorders such as allergies and asthma plus help our body to fight off the common cold - perfect for this time of year!
- Collagen is great for supporting joint health as well as nourishing and smoothing your skin, nails and hair. Collagen also has been shown to have anti-ageing benefits.
- Bone broth is amazing for building and repairing muscle and tissue, because of the high amounts of important amino acids it contains. Amino acids, particularly proline, glycine and glutamine are the building blocks used by the body for building and repairing muscle and tissue.
- Bone broth contains minerals that are in a form your body is easily able to absorb: calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, silicon and more!
How to choose a good bone broth?
When choosing a good bone broth - high quality is best! A good way to tell the quality is how thick and gelatinous the broth is. Best Bone Broth has always been a favourite broth of mine, they only use certified organic NZ ingredients and are slow simmered (chicken for 12 hours/beef for 24hrs) which gives the broth a concentrated and thick gelatinous consistency. I buy the packs from Farro in Epsom but they are available at so many shops around NZ, you can check out the stockists here.
Thanks Best Bone Broth for partnering with us on this post and video. We only partner with brands that we LOVE and are excited to share with our amazing community 😊.
Creamy Chicken Soup
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 Tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 2 x carrots, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 x leak, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 x small broccoli, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 2 x chicken breasts, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 500ml Organic Chicken Best Bone Broth
- 1 can of organic coconut milk (400ml)
- 3/4 tsp Himalayan salt (add to season)
- In a large pot on medium heat, fry the onion, garlic and thyme until the onion is soft.
- Add the carrots, broccoli and leak. Cook for a few minutes until the vegetables start to soften. Add the chicken pieces and cook for another couple of minutes until the chicken is sealed (white on the outside).
- Add the bone broth, coconut milk and salt. Simmer for 10 minutes and serve.
Join Our Community
Join 9k incredible ladies in our private Facebook Group and receive your copy of our FREE 7 Day Mind & Body Experience eBook. By signing up, you'll also receive a weekly e-mail with new delicious recipes and healthy tips.