You can't really beat sitting down on the couch with Netflix and a big bowl of popcorn! The microwave popcorn is sure stand out choice for most people as it is super easy but to honest, microwave popcorn is probably at the top of my list of foods I will never eat.
The microwave proof bags are actually coated with a specific chemical and when it is heated it leaches into the popcorn. This particular chemical has been shown to disrupt your bodies ability to make and release certain hormones. There are loads of chemicals used as the butter flavouring as well....it certainly is not butter!
It is actually very easy to make your own popcorn at home, many people have just never tried it. Making your own using the recipe and method below will also ensure you are not consuming those nasty chemicals that are added to the microwave bags.
If you are going to make only one flavour, go for the salted caramel....it is DELICIOUS! 😋
- 3/4 cup of popcorn made a lot of popcorn and enough for all 3 flavours. If you are only making one flavour I would suggest you only use 1/4 cup popcorn.
- For the nut butter I used almond butter but any sort of nut butter will work e.g. peanut butter, tahini, cashew butter etc.
- When cooking the popcorn I sometimes use a mix of coconut and organic butter. This is up to you what you prefer to use!
Salted Caramel, Chocolate and Savoury Popcorn
- 3/4 cup popcorn (I buy organic popcorn from Huckleberry)
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 3 Tbsp nut butter
- 1 Tbsp cacao powder or 100% cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extractC
- 1/2 Tbsp maple syrup
- Pinch of sea salt or Himalayan salt
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp sea salt (add to taste)
- 2 Tbsp coconut milk or cream
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- First make the popcorn by heating the coconut oil and popcorn on medium to high heat. Shake the pot so that the corn is covering the bottom of the pot in an even layer. Shake the pot occasionally until the popping slows down. This should take about 2 minutes. Take the lid off to let the steam out.
- Take out 2/3rds of the popcorn and distribute into 2 bowls - this will be for the chocolate and caramel.
- For the savoury, leave the remaining 1/3rd of popcorn in the pot and add all of the savoury flavourings while the popcorn is still hot. This will help everything stick to the corn.
- For the chocolate, mix all ingredients in a bowl and pour over the popcorn. Leave to set in the fridge for about 20 minutes or until the chocolate has hardened.
- For the caramel, place all ingredients into a pot on low to medium heat. Stir continuously for about 5 minutes until the caramel has thickened up. Taste and add additional salt if you'd like. Pour the caramel over the popcorn and leave in the fridge to harden for about 30 minutes.
Join Our Community
Join 9k incredible ladies in our private Facebook Group and receive your copy of our FREE 7 Day Mind & Body Experience eBook. By signing up, you'll also receive a weekly e-mail with new delicious recipes and healthy tips.