This Red Lentil & Pumpkin Dahl is a super tasty and nourishing recipe, perfect for the winter months a head of us (well winter in NZ anyways!). It doesn't require too many ingredients and most of which are staple cupboard items that you may already have in your kitchen.
Dahl is an awesome high protein vegetarian meal. I also love the texture of the red lentils as they absorb all the flavours and sort of mush up a bit...mush up in a good way that is! 😊
- With the lentils wash them in lots of water and rinse until the water runs clear. Then leave them to soak in clean water overnight or for at least 4 hours before using.
- You can add any vegetables to this recipe. I was also going to add spinach at the end but forgot!!
Red Lentil & Vegetable Dahl
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1-2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 cup water
- 1 tin of coconut milk
- 3/4 cup dried red lentils, soaked in water overnight and drained
- 1/2 a small buttercup pumpkin (about 360g peeled and diced)
- 1/2 a broccoli, finely chopped
- Pinch of chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan or sea salt
- Heat coconut oil on medium heat and cook the garlic and ginger for 1 minute. Add the spices and cook for another minute.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a simmer. Add additional water if it needs it.
- Place the lid on and cook for 20-30 minutes or until the pumpkin is cooked and lentils have absorbed all of the liquid. Stir the dahl every 5 minutes or so.
Join Our Community
Join 9k incredible ladies in our private Facebook Group and receive your copy of our FREE 7 Day Mind & Body Experience eBook. By signing up, you'll also receive a weekly e-mail with new delicious recipes and healthy tips.