I think we can all agree that winter = porridge! I seriously love porridge, however oats just do not agree with my stomach which is why I wanted to come up with a buckwheat porridge version. Buckwheat is such a versatile grain and can be used in so many different ways from salads, breads and even porridge! This recipe is gluten-free, dairy-free, super easy to make and tastes amazing!
For this recipe, I first soaked the buckwheat overnight in water. This will allow your body to digest and absorb the grain better. The soaking reduces the phytic acid which can interfere with digestion. I highly recommend you do this, however you can skip this step and you may just need to add in a little water as it cooks. If you don't have buckwheat you could always just use oats in this recipe - only if your stomach agrees with them that is.
Instead of using apple and vanilla some other yummy flavour ingredients are: mashed banana, cacao powder, grated pear, cinnamon and almond butter 😋.
Apple & Vanilla Buckwheat Porridge
- 1/2 cup of buckwheat, soaked overnight in water
- 1 grated apple
- 200ml of non-dairy milk (I used homemade cashew milk but you could always use coconut milk, almond milk etc.)
- 1 Tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- To serve: walnuts, sultanas and extra non-dairy milk
- Soak the buckwheat overnight in water. In the morning, drain and rinse with plenty of water.
- Cook all of the ingredients together in a pot on low to medium heat.
- Serve with walnuts, sutanas and extra nut milk.
Join Our Community
Join 9k incredible ladies in our private Facebook Group and receive your copy of our FREE 7 Day Mind & Body Experience eBook. By signing up, you'll also receive a weekly e-mail with new delicious recipes and healthy tips.