This zucchini carbonara is deliciously and creamy while being gluten-free and dairy-free! It's a family friendly meal that the kids will the enjoy too 😊.
Traditional carbonara is made with bacon which you can totally add if you'd like (look for nitrate and preservative free bacon). With the pasta, I absolutely love this black bean pasta (I buy it from any PaknSave), but you can use any sort of pasta that you like. If you wanted to make this meal grain-free and paleo, swap the pasta for extra zucchini noodles or carrot noodles yummm! 😊
- 1/2 cup cashew nuts, soaked overnight in water
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 white onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 zucchini, spiralized
- 100g (approx) uncooked black bean pasta - I used half a packet of this brand 😊
- Cook the black bean pasta according to packet directions. Be careful not to overcook them as they may break up when added to the pan.
- In a blender or food processor blend together the water, cashew nuts, nutritional yeast, paprika, salt and mixed herbs.
- Pour the sauce into a bowl and whisk in the egg. Set aside.
- In a large pan or wok, heat the coconut oil and on medium heat and cook the onion until soft. Add the zucchini noodles and garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the black bean pasta and sauce then cook for 2-3 minutes until heated through and the sauce has thickened. The egg will help the sauce to thicken up.