As I am sitting here typing out this recipe, I became amazed as how easy it is now to replicate 'unhealthy' desserts using healthy ingredients and that they actually taste really good! Since I started this blog (about 3 years ago) and making healthy treats I no longer crave any sweets from the supermarket anymore. I can't remember the last time I had biscuits, ice cream, lollies or milk chocolate. One exception is the occasional block of dark chocolate (with no nasty ingredients) but pretty much I only ever crave healthy treats which I think is amazing!
Do you remember that magic chocolate sauce that you use to be able to buy? I am not actually sure if you can still buy it or not...maybe you can? But anyways, it is the sauce that sets instantly once you pour it over your ice cream. For the sauce I made in this video, it also sets instantly just like that magic sauce because of the coconut oil (I love using Blue Coconut oil for all of my recipes).
For all of the non-banana fans out there, you could probably substitute the banana for 1 cup of ice cubes made with coconut milk. You may need to add a little maple syrup or honey as the banana acts as the sweetener and extra liquid as you blend.
Thanks Blue Coconut for partnering with us on this post and video. We only partner with brands that we LOVE and are excited to share with our amazing community.
Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream
- 1/2 cashews, soaked in water overnight
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp cacao powder
- 1 cup frozen banana
- 2 Tbsp Blue Coconut coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp almond butter (or any nut butter you prefer e.g peanut, cashew butter)
- 2 tsp maple syrup (or any other sweetener of your choice)
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 Tbsp cacao powder
- Ideally soak your cashew nuts in water overnight to soften. If you want to make this asap, soak the cashews in boiling water for at least 3 hours and then drain.
- Place all the ice cream ingredients into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. The more powerful your blender is, the smoother your mixture will become.
- Pour the ice cream into a container and freeze for 1 & half hours or until the ice cream is hard enough to scoop.
- Make the chocolate sauce by mixing together all of the ingredients. Any left over sauce you can freeze and make into chocolate.