Lemon has got to be one of my favourite flavours to use in baking and raw treats...I don't know why I have never made these yummy lemon energy balls before! It is the perfect time of year to embrace this seasonal fruit. If you are a fellow kiwi then you most likely will have a fruit bowl full of lemons hand picked straight from the tree in your backyard (or neighbours tree!).
For these energy balls I roasted the cashew nuts and almonds first as I really think roasted nuts give the most amazing flavour, but you can leave them raw if you prefer.
Lemon Energy Balls
- 1/2 cup of cashew nuts, roasted
- 1/2 cup of almonds, roasted
- 1/2 cup of coconut
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup cashew nut butter (or any other nut butter)
- 1/2 cup of dates (soak in boiling water and drain to make them blend easier)
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/4 to 1/2 a cup of desiccated coconut (for rolling the balls in)
- Using a blender of food processor, blend the almonds, cashew nuts, coconut and sea salt into a fine crumb.
- Add the cashew nut butter (or any other nut butter), dates, lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla and pulse to combine.
- Take a tablespoon of the mixture and roll it into a ball then roll each ball in coconut.
- Store the balls in the freezer.
Makes approx 10 balls
Join our Community
Sign up to our newsletter for new delicious recipes, healthy tips and a FREE 7 Day Mind & Body Experience.