Chicken pie has always been one of my favourite meals to make. I have been making this recipe for a long time but I used to used sour cream in the pie filling and also line and top it with flaky pasty hehe
This meal is such a yummy family-friendly dinner that kids will love too (well I think they will!). You can load it full of any veggies you have in the fridge and swap the chicken for chickpeas and use vegetable stock to make a vegetarian version of it.
Sweet Potato Chicken Pie
- 2 medium sweet potato (kumara), chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 1 large leak, chopped
- 1 broccoli, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp of flour (I used 1/2 tapioca and 1/2 brown rice)
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 350ml of chicken stock or bone broth
- 1 tin of corn, drained and rinsed with water
- 1/2 tsp himalayan salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup of coconut milk + 1/4 cup of the mash kumara (or use any milk of your choice)
- 1 handful of grated cheese (optional)
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees.
- Place the sweet potato into a medium sized pot and cover with water. Boil until soft
- Heat coconut oil in a large pan. Cook the chicken for 3-5 minutes or until it is cooked through then set aside.
- Using the same pan the chicken was cooked in, cook the onion until soft.
- Add the leaks, broccoli, carrot and garlic. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until soft. Add a little water to steam the vegetables if the pan starts to dry up.
- Add the flour and herbs and paprika. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly add the chicken stock/broth, and let it thicken.
- Add the coconut milk, chicken, corn and salt. Mix to combine.
- Taste and season.
- Pour the chicken pie mixture into an oven proof dish and set aside.
- Mash sweet potato, season with salt and pepper and add the ¼ cup of coconut milk, mix well.
- Spread the sweet potato over the chicken pie mixture. As an option top with grated cheese.
- Place in the pre-heated oven and cook for 30 minutes until the top is starting to brown.
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Join our Community
Sign up to our newsletter for new delicious recipes, healthy tips and a FREE 7 Day Mind & Body Experience.