This black bean Mexican bowl is inspired by Misters Real Food, my favourite cafe in Auckland! They have the most amazing food that I seriously can no get enough off. Their food is all seasonal, fresh, gluten and dairy free, plus everything I have eaten there just tastes incredible. If you go there make sure you try some of their raw vegan treats and desserts...ahmazing!
Black Bean Mexican Bowl
Spicy Black Bean Ingredients:
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 a red onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- A pinch of chilli powder
- 2 large fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tin of black beans, drained and rinsed
Tahini Yoghurt Dressing Ingredients:
- 4 Tbsp Greek yoghurt (or use coconut yoghurt)
- 2 Tbsp tahini
- Juice of half a lemon
- 4 large handfuls of iceburge lettuce, finely sliced
- 2 handful of red cabbage, finely sliced
- 10 cherry tomatoes (or use normal tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup of cooked quinoa
- 1/2 an avocado
- Fresh coriander to serve
- First cook the spicy black beans by heating the coconut oil in a pan with a teaspoon of coconut oil. Cook the onion until soft, then add the spices, garlic and fresh tomato. Stir for a few minutes until the tomato softens.
- Add the black beans, tomato paste and stir. Take off the heat.
- Assemble the salad by placing all the salad ingredients into 2 bowls.
- Make the dressing by mixing together the yoghurt, tahini and lemon juice.
- Place the spicy beans on the salad, top with yoghurt dressing and fresh coriander.
Join our Community
Sign up to our newsletter for new delicious recipes, healthy tips and a FREE 7 Day Mind & Body Experience.