I think we can all agree that traditional butter chicken from the Indian restaurant is amazingly delicious! I have tried so many healthy butter chicken recipes but none compare to the real deal. This recipe below is the closest I can get, it is SO yummy and still has the traditional butter chicken flavours with out the cup of butter and bottle of cream.
Healthy Butter Chicken
- 2 x chicken medium sized breasts (approx 150g each), chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup of Greek yoghurt (or coconut yoghurt)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 inch sized piece of ginger, grated (1 Tbsp)
- 1 can of tinned tomatoes
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 broccoli, chopped (or any other veggies of your choice)
- 1 cup green beans, chopped
- First marinate the chicken by mixing together the yoghurt, curry spices, salt, lemon juice and chicken pieces. Leave to marinate for at least 30 minutes. The longer you leave it to marinate the better. A couple of hours or even overnight is ideal!
- Heat a heaped teaspoon of coconut oil in a large pan, add the onion and cook until soft. Add the garlic and ginger to the pan and continue cooking for another 3 minutes.
- Next add the marinated chicken to the pan and stir until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, coconut milk, tomato paste and vegetables.
- Simmer with the lid off for 15 minutes until the veggies are cooked through and the sauce has thickened a little. Season to taste.
- Serve with 1/2 cup of brown rice as an option and coriander.
Join our Community
Sign up to our newsletter for new delicious recipes, healthy tips and a FREE 7 Day Mind & Body Experience.