This creamy broccoli and pea soup is filled with nutrients, easy to make and actually tastes delicious too!
Broccoli is packed filled with vitamin c, vitamin k and chromium. Chromium plays an important role in blood sugar regulation and is great to include into your diet if you find you are constantly getting sugar cravings. One important note is not to over cook your broccoli, when it becomes soft and mushy it loses a lot of the nutrients. To retain maximum amount of nutrients in your broccoli chop it up, leave it for 5 minutes then cook it for around 4 minutes and no longer.
Here in NZ, we have hit the middle of winter, so it is pretty cold! I couldn't think of anything better to do than make a yummy soup, wrap myself up in a blanket, sit on the couch and drink soup. I served this soup with toasted Paleo bread, which was ahmazing!
Creamy Broccoli and Green Pea Soup
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 1 large broccoli head
- 3 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 a small dried red chili or half a tsp chili flakes (change to suit your 'chili preferences')
- 180g frozen green peas
- 1/2 tsp of Himalayan salt
- 1 tin of coconut milk
- 1 cup of water
- Juice of half a lemon
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pot on medium heat. Cook the diced onion until soft.
- Add the chopped broccoli, garlic, chili and cook for 3 minutes. Add the frozen peas and salt.
- Tip everything into a blender, add coconut milk, water, juice of half a lemon and blend until smooth and creamy.