Today I am sharing with you a healthy version of a classic treat loved by every single person on this planet and it is......carrot cake! This carrot cake recipe is one of the many yummy recipes from the Matakana Superfoods website.
The main flour used in this recipe is purple corn flour which is not only gluten-free, low GI and GMO-free, the brightly coloured purple corn provides a whopping amount of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds. YES PLEASE superfood carrot cake come at me!!
Thanks Matakana Superfoods for partnering with us on this post and video. We only partner with brands that we LOVE and are excited to share with our amazing community.
Healthy Superfood Carrot Cake
1 cup purple corn flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder (GF)
1 tsp baking soda
Pinch of Himalayan salt
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1 cup coconut sugar
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 1/2 cups grated carrot
450g tin crushed pineapple, drained
5 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
3 large eggs
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (to decorate)
1/2 cup organic dried chopped apricots (to decorate)
A handful of coconut thread (to decorate)
250g cream cheese (for a dairy-free option, substitute for coconut yoghurt)
50g organic butter, softened (for a dairy-free option, substitute for coconut oil)
1/2 cup coconut sugar
2 tsp lucuma powder
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Mix all dry ingredients together, making sure there are no lumps.
- Add all wet ingredients, then carrot and mix well.
- Pour into a baking-paper lined 20cm round cake tin and bake for 45-55 minutes until cooked. To check the cake is cooked, insert a metal skewer or a knife, it should come out clean.
- For the icing, beat the cream cheese and butter for 2 minutes or until combined.
- Add the coconut sugar and beat with an electric beater until well combined, the icing should become a light caramel colour. Add the lucuma powder and mix well.
- Once the cake has cooled, carefully place it on a serving plate and top with the icing.
- Sprinkle with coconut, apricots and walnuts before sharing with your family and friends and devouring!
- Store the cake in the fridge.