When I say WINTER what do you think!? Do you think porridge......I do!! While I do love a good porridge made with traditional oats, lately quinoa porridge is a nice change, plus it is higher in protein! It is also great for people who have are celiac and think their porridge days are over.
This recipe is more of a plain tasting porridge so def top it with your favourite fruit, a dash of honey and maybe a blog of yoghurt too, yumm!
A tip on quinoa, some people find that it doesn't digest very well. Firstly, buy white quinoa as I think it is easier for your body to digest. Secondly, soak it overnight in water and rinse well in the morning before cooking it. The soaking helps to reduce the phytic acid which is naturally found on the grain.
Vanilla and Cinnamon Quinoa Porridge
- 1/2 cup of coconut or non-dairy unsweetened milk of your choice
- 1 cup of cooked quinoa (approx 1/4 cup uncooked)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp ground flaxseeds
- Pinch of salt
- Toppings: fresh fruit and a drizzle of honey
- First cook your quinoa according to packet directions. 1/4 cup of uncooked quinoa with half a cup of water should give you 1 cup of cooked quinoa.
- Place all ingredients in a pot and boil gently for 3- 5 minutes until the liquid is absorbed.
- Add additional milk until your desired porridge consistency is achieved.
- Top the porridge with your favourite fruit and an optional drizzle of honey to sweeten.