If you have been following my blog for a while, you will have noticed I am a sucker for a good healthy treat. This chocolate fudge slice was actually one of the first recipes on my blog. The photos back then were shocking (taken with my Ipad) so I knew it was time to give this beauty and a make-over with brand spanking new photos and video to match!
Like all my recipes, I try to keep them pretty simple and easy to make. Ideally use a food processor to blend up the dates, otherwise something I used to do when I first moved to Dubai and had nothing fancy in my kitchen.....throw the dates and oil in a pot, heat slowly and mush with a wooden spoon until you form a paste.
Chocolate Fudge Slice
- 1/2 cup of desiccated coconut
- 1 cup of ground almonds
- 3/4 cup of dates
- 2 Tbsp of coconut oil
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Chocolate topping Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil (deoderised coconut oil is best)
- 3/4 cup of coconut milk (from a tin)
- 3 Tbsp cacao powder
- 1 heaped Tbsp of honey
- Pinch of salt
- Blend all base ingredients together in a food processor. If your dates are hard and dry I would first soak them in a little boiling water and drain well.
- Press the base into a baking paper lined container or dish. Set aside in the freezer while you prepare the topping.
- Place the coconut oil, coconut milk, cacao powder, honey and salt into a pot and heat on low to medium heat. Stir continuously until the mixture starts to thicken. This should take approximately 3 minutes.
- Pour the chocolate topping over the base and leave to set in the freezer for an hour before slicing.
- This slice is best kept in the freezer and taken out 5 minutes before serving. Because of the coconut oil in the topping, it melts quickly.
Makes 15 pieces