This delicious vegetarian stuffed sweet potato is one of my favourite recipes from the 12 Week mind & Body Transformation. Sweet potato is such a great low glycemic index carbohydrates that will keep your blood sugar levels stable and feeling full and nourished throughout the day.
This recipe is from week 10 of the programme which is all about food intolerance. Switching bread or pasta (which contain gluten - a common food intolerant) for a sweet potato is the perfect substitute without feeling like you are depriving yourself of carbohydrates.
If you would like to download the free experience which includes week 1 of the guide then you can download it here. Week 1 is all about changing your mindset and creating a positive relationship with your self and with food which is the foundation to any health or weight loss journey.
Stuffed Sweet Potato
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 tsp of coconut oil
- 1/2 a small red onion, sliced
- 2 large mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 2 cups of kale leaves
- 1/2 a fresh corn cob, kernels sliced off
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- Salt to season
- 1/4 can of black or red beans
- 1/4 of an avocado or guacamole
- 2 Tbsp of Greek Yoghurt (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees.
- Wrap sweet potato in tinfoil and place in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Heat the coconut oil in a pan on medium heat, add onion and cook until soft.
- Add mushrooms, garlic, corn, kale, spices and salt. Continue cooking until veggies are soft. Add black beans and stir to combine and hot. After 1 minute take off the heat.
- Slice sweet potato down the middle, and scoop out some of the flesh. Mash with a fork and season with salt. Mix vegetables with mashed sweet potato and stuff back inside the potato skins.
- Top with smashed avocado and Greek yoghurt as an option.