Chicken nuggets are every child's favourite food. Unfortunately the frozen nuggets and take-a-way options are FAR from healthy. From the cheap chicken bits to all the chemical additives used in the coating, store bought chicken nuggets are best avoided.
The coating I use in this recipe is actually what I use to crumb fresh fish. It is so delicious and works perfectly well for healthy chicken nuggets.
If you are super keen you could even make the tomato sauce for dunking those nuggets in to as well!
Healthy Chicken Nuggets with Tomato Sauce
- 1 x free-range chicken breast
- 1/2 a tablespoon of flour (such as coconut, rye, buckwheat, wholemeal etc)
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 2 heaped tablespoons of desiccated coconut
- 2 heaped tablespoons of almond flour
- 2 heaped tablespoons of sesame seeds
- 5 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon of coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of dried mixed herbs
- ½ teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 2 dates
- 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- Salt and pepper
Tomato Sauce Instructions:
- To make the sauce, place tomatoes, onion and garlic in a pan. Cook on low heat for 5 minutes until soft. If the mixture starts to dry up, add a dash or 2 of water.
- Add the rest of the sauce ingredients and continue to cook on low heat for 3-5 more minutes. Taste and season.
- Blend the tomato sauce in a high speed blender until smooth, alternatively you can miss this step and have is chunky.
- Store the sauce in the fridge and use within 4 days.
Chicken Nugget Instructions:
- Slice the chicken into 1cm thick pieces. In a snap-lock bag place the flour, add the chicken pieces, seal the bag and shake well.
- In a bowl combine the desiccated coconut, almond flour, sesame seeds and seasonings.
- In another bowl crack the eggs and whisk.
- Dip each chicken piece in the egg then press to coat evenly with the coconut and almond mixture.
- Place a teaspoon of coconut oil in a pan on medium heat. Cook each piece of chicken for about 3 minutes each side.
- Cut one piece through the middle to check the chicken is cooked before serving.
- Alternatively, you can bake the chicken in the oven. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees. Line all the nuggets up on an oven tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake in the oven for 6 minutes, turn each nugget over and bake again for another 6 minutes.
- Serve with a simple salad and the tomato sauce.