This curry is one of our staple meals in my household. I love that you can add what ever veggies you have in the fridge and turn it into a nourishing tasty meal. This meal is also perfect to add to the slow cooker, simply let it cook on low for 4-5 hours.
Lentils are a great vegetarian source of plant based protein. Regardless if you follow a vegetarian diet or not I think it is important to include 1-2 meat-less meals into your diet each week.
Healthy Lentil Curry
- 1 teaspoon of coconut oil
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tsp garlic crushed
- 1 small broccoli
- ½ a medium cauliflower
- 1 cup or 1 whole tin of lentils
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 1 tin of organic coconut milk
- 1 tin of tomatoes
- 1 tbsp miso paste or tamari sauce
- Salt and pepper to season
- ½ cup water
- Optional: serve with wild/brown rice
- First prepare your vegetables. Finely chop the onion and place in a bowl.
- Chop the rest of the vegetables and set aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the curry powder and crushed garlic and continue cooking for 2 minutes.
- Next add the vegetables, tin tomatoes and coconut milk. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Next add the lentils, peas and ½ cup of water.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Add the miso paste and season with salt and pepper. Serve with a fist size serving of brown/wild rice.