Total comfort food right here with out the guilt and bloating!
This dish is great for many reasons. Firstly I love that it can all be made a head of time then baked in the oven when you and your family are ready to eat it. It freezes well so makes the perfect food prep meal. You can also make it in individual ramekins as mini pies, or as one large dish. The recipe is also so versatile, you really can change the ingredients to suit your taste buds!
- If you are fussy with your mince (like me) buy a pack of nice looking grass-fed steak and mince it in your food processor.
- If you don’t like beef use chicken, lamb, venison or turkey.
- If you don’t eat any meat at all then use a tin of red/black beans or lentils in replace of the mince.
- For the veggies, I used 1 whole broccoli, but you can use any vegetables you like. I have also made it before using frozen peas, corn, grated carrot and grated courgette.
- To keep it vegan, don’t add the cheese on top.
- Top the pie with your favourite starchy vegetable, sweet potato, white potato, carrot, pumpkin or a mixture.
Healthy Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie
- 4 medium sweet potato, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 500g beef mince
- 1 whole broccoli, finely chopped
- 1 tin of tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon of dried herbs
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- Dash of each; ground coriander, cumin, garam masala or use curry powder
- 2 tablespoon of tamari (or soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoon of Worchester sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons of coconut milk (or any milk)
- 2 handfuls of cheese, grated
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Place the chopped sweet potato in a pan with water and boil until soft.
- Heat coconut oil in a large pan on medium heat.
- Add the onion and stir fry until soft.
- Add the beef mince and stir until almost cooked.
- Add the garlic, herbs, spices, and broccoli. Continue to cook for another 3 minutes.
- Stir through the tinned tomatoes, tomato paste, tamari and Worchester sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain the water from the pot of sweet potato and mash until smooth. Add the coconut milk, season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Pour the mince mixture into an oven proof dish. Spread the sweet potato mash over the top and sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake in the oven until cheese is melted and golden, around 20 minutes. I like to then turn the oven onto grill for 3-5 minutes to turn the cheese golden and crisp.
- Leave to sit on your bench for 10 minutes before serving as it will be hot!