Banana bread is an all time favourite for a lot of us! Unfortunately traditional recipes are full of brown sugar and white flour. While this may sound tasty, your body will not love you for it!
So here I have for you, a healthy banana loaf that I am sure you and your family will love! The bananas add the perfect moisture to the loaf as well as a healthy dose of nutrients. Bananas are high in potassium and full of healthy low GI carbohydrates. Further lowering the GI of this loaf by the addition of healthy fats from the coconut oil and coconut flour. The addition of chia seeds provide the bread with a healthy dose of omega-3 fats which have many vital roles in the body, the major being reducing inflammation and to also provide a tasty crunch and unique texture to the bread. This loaf is nutrient dense and will keep you feeling nourished for hours.
This is perfect for a weekend treat, straight from the oven and spread with organic grass-fed butter (YUMM!) or make it as part of your food prep, slice it and freeze to add to yours and your kids lunch boxes. It is so simple to make and a great way to use up bananas that have ripened and turned brown way to fast.
This delicious loaf I adapted from The Healthy Chef a site full of amazing healthy recipes!
Banana, Coconut & Chia Paleo Loaf
- 3 ripe bananas
- ¼ cup of coconut oil, melted
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup of coconut flour
- ¼ cup of chia seeds
- Pinch of salt
- ½ a teaspoon vanilla powder or pure extract
- ½ a teaspoon of baking soda
- Pre-heat your oven to 160 degrees.
- Place the bananas, melted coconut oil and eggs in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- In a separate bowl mix the coconut flour, salt, vanilla, baking soda and chia seeds.
- Add the banana mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Place in a loaf tin and bake for 35- 45 minutes.
- Check it is cooked by inserting a metal skewer, if it comes out clean then take the loaf out of the oven. Leave to cool before slicing.
Serves: 1 Loaf