When you think of bircher muesli, you most probably imagine the creamy sweet cold porridge you have at hotel breakfast buffets. Oh how delicious this is but so unhealthy with all the cream and sugar they add! Here is a healthy version of a bircher muesli that is high in protein and healthy fats with all the seeds and with the addition of almond milk it is now dairy-free.
It is super easy to make, mix all the dry ingredients together over your weekend and it is all ready for the work week. Simply prepare it the night before work and in the morning it will be ready to grab-and-go as you run out the door for work. It is also a great breakfast for kids too! 🙂
Chia & Oat Bircher Muesli
- 2 cups of oats
- ½ cup of chia seeds
- ½ a cup of sunflower seeds
- ½ a cup of pumpkin seeds
- ½ a cup desiccated coconut
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- ½ – ¾ cup of nut milk or coconut milk (for 1 serve)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 apple, grated
- Option to add a scoop of plant based protein powder
- In a large bowl place the oats, chia seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, coconut, cinnamon and salt.
- Mix well and pour into an air-tight container for the week.
- The night before, take ½ a cup of the dry bircher muesli and pour it into a jar or container. This will make 1 serve.
- Grate the apple, add this to the jar with a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Add milk of your choice and top it up with water or extra milk until the liquid covers all the mixture.
- Leave to soak overnight and enjoy it in the morning with fresh fruit.