You will never guess that this recipe contains chickpeas! Don't let this put you off making them because they are deeelish and you really can not taste the chickpeas at all. The chickpeas give this brownie the most amazing chewy and soft texture, plus together with the peanut butter it is pretty high in protein too.
Make these to share with family and friends on the weekend or give them to the kids for a tasty afternoon tea treat.
If you are not a banana fan (sorry as I add banana to most of my recipes hehe) you can skip the banana and maybe add an extra teaspoon of honey to the mix.
Chocolate Chickpea Brownies
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/2 cup of peanut butter (or any other nut/seed butter; almond, cashew, sunflower seed etc)
- 3 Tbsp honey (or any other sweetener; RMS, coconut nectar, maple syrup etc)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 60g dark chocolate, roughly chopped - delicious but totally optional
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Place all ingredients into a blender - except for the chocolate and walnuts. Blend until smooth then tip into a bowl.
- Add the chocolate pieces and walnuts and mix to combine.
- Spread the mixture into a lined baking tray (warning it is very sticky!) and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Let cook for at least 5 minutes before cutting into 16 pieces.
Makes 16 pieces