Baked beans are hit here in NZ, I think we an all agree they are pretty tasty! However those Watties baked beans while they are delicious, they are very high in sugar, salt and thickened with flour so not something I eat anymore.
This recipe for homemade baked beans is so tasty and super easy to make too. Traditionally baked beans are made using navy beans, however I couldn't find any in the supermarket so used red beans instead.
Homemade Baked Beans
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 2 x tinned tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp tamari sauce
- 3/4 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes (add less or more depending on your spice preference)
- 3 dates, finely chopped
- 2 tins of red beans (any variety of beans will work)
- In a large sauce pan cook the red onion over medium heat. Add the garlic and paprika and cook for a further 1 minute.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a gentle boil. Cook uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Serve on it's own with a handful of spinach or else dish the beans up with your weekend fry-up of eggs, avocado and paleo toast.
Join our Community
Sign up to our newsletter for new delicious recipes, healthy tips and a FREE 7 Day Mind & Body Experience.