Risotto has got to be one of the most dreamy, delicious and comforting meals you can make! However, the traditional risotto while it tastes amazing it is a very heavy and rich meal that can often leave you feeling bit full and stuffed after you have eaten it.
This quinoa risotto is a lighter and more nutritious version after swapping the rice for quinoa and adding in a whole heap of veggies to the mix. It turned into such a yummy meal that the whole family will enjoy - I can't wait to make it again!
I chose to use mushrooms, asparagus and peas but you really can add what ever veggies you like :)
Quinoa and Mushroom Risotto
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 button mushrooms (or 2-3 large mushrooms), chopped
- 1/2 cup white quinoa
- 1 & 1/2 cup of bone broth or stock (I used Best Bone Broth)
- 1 cup chopped asparagus
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 Tbsp tahini - this makes it creamy!
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast - this makes it taste like cheese!
- Salt and peper to season
- Heat the coconut oil in a pan on medium heat and cook the onion until it is soft. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook for another couple of minutes until mushrooms are soft.
- Add the quinoa, stir for 1 minute then add the bone broth or stock.
- Bring to a gentle boil and leave uncovered for about 10 minutes.
- Add the vegetables and cook for another 5 minutes or until quinoa has absorbed all the liquid.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, stir and season to taste.
- Serve with extra veggies, spinach or mesclun.