While I am not a vegetarian, I eat mostly vegetarian meals and include chicken or fish in my diet about once a week. My body thrives of veggie based meals and really feels amazing! I find a meal that is heavily based around meat, especially read meat I just feel a bit bloated and sluggish afterwards.
I was inspired to make these black bean and beetroot burgers after seeing some at PaknSave the other day. I read the ingredient list and was like YESS I can make these (like I do with most packaged foods).
This recipe is so delicious I could eat them every night! I think they would also freeze really well, make the patties and freeze them (I would freeze them raw) for an easy weeknight dinner or work lunch.
- 2 tins of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 large beetroot, grated (approx 1 & 1/2 cups grated)
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup of ground almonds
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees. Place the black beans on a baking paper lined tray and bake for 20 minutes. The beans should dry out and the skin start to peel.
- In a large pan heat the coconut oil and cook the onion until soft. Add the grated beetroot and continue cooking for another 5 minutes until the beetroot is soft and most of the water evaporated out.
- Add the garlic, paprika, mixed herbs, coriander and cook for 2 minutes.
- Tip the beetroot mixture into a large bowl and add the black beans. Mash with a potato masher or alternatively blend in a food processor until the beans have blended into a 'chunky paste'.
- Add the ground almonds, egg, salt and pumpkin seeds and mix until well combined.
- Shape the mixture into 6 patties and place on a baking tray. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Alternatively you can fry these in a pan using coconut oil.
- Serve with a salad, avocado and tahini yoghurt dressing.
Makes 6 burger patties
Join our Community
Sign up to our newsletter for new delicious recipes, healthy tips and a FREE 7 Day Mind & Body Experience.